May 7, 2009

Regretting My Low Social Capital (Part 3)

This is the final post in this series. I promise.

Up to now, I've been lamenting my low social capital. The solution here should be really easy: get out more, deliberately meet more people and stop living like a hermit. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

As a matter of fact, I've come to the point where I'm so used to the disease that I'm afraid the cure will kill me.

For example, this weekend, a "surprise" birthday party is being held in honour of one of my church's pastors. I put "surprise" in quotes because he probably knows about it already, but he'll need to act surprised at the event. Anyway, being an active member of my church, you'd think that I'd sign up right away - but I didn't. Actually, I didn't sign up at all.

It's not that I have anything against the pastor himself. Au contraire, I very much respect him, especially for sometimes injecting secular songs into his sermons and not giving a crap what people think about it. It's just that I don't want to find myself in a socially embarrassing situation, where I end up sitting with people I don't know and become the odd one out while they talk amongst themselves. Worse, I could end up being forced into conversation when all I want to do is sit, eat and take in my surroundings. Given the fact that I'm on stage every week (I sing on backup and in the adult choir), this is a very real possibility. I've been through these situations enough times to know better than to risk repeated public awkwardness.

There are only two types of people who willingly jump into the same fire twice: firefighters and idiots. At least firefighters get paid for it.

So I'm going to let that "celebration" pass and do what I think is best: go to Indigo and read a few magazines...by myself, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment